Reality TV captures attention of high school students

From Dance Moms to The Apprentice, reality TV has enveloped popular culture.

“The Bachelorette. I like how they travel to really fun places, and it’s really fun to see them connect,” senior Chloe Loughmiller said. “I would recommend The Bachelorette to anyone.”

While many shows fall under the umbrella of “reality,” most, if not all, are scripted. Do students prefer these scripted shows more?

“Reality TV shows seem very forced and fake, but docu-series are real and more organized. I enjoy the more scripted shows because of the drama,” Loughmiller said. “There was one episode where a cocktail party got cancelled and it caused the girls to fight. The fighting and yelling seemed like it was done for the cameras and it made me laugh because of how immature they were about it.”

Sophomore Lydia Johnson gave her opinion.

“I like Rupaul’s Drag Race. I dislike Keeping up with the Kardashians because it is annoying,” Johnson said. “I would recommend RuPaul’s Drag Race to anyone and everyone because it is more natural and it doesn’t feel as stiff as scripted shows.”

For some people, reality TV completely takes over their lives. For others, it is just background noise.

“I watch whatever’s on. I like Forged in Fire because I like knives,” sophomore Erik Slevin said. “I don’t have a least favorite because I watch whatever TV I can watch.”

Television has a lasting impact on culture. Some students said that Reality TV has the most impact out of any form of TV.

“Shows like RuPaul’s Drag Race has brought queer culture into the mainstream,” senior Ian Hudnall said. “I like reality TV because it has more drama and higher stakes.”