Seniors prepare for top 20 banquet

For some seniors, the second semester is an exciting time as they prepare for the Top 20 Banquet.

The Top 20 Banquet is an event held to honor the 20 students with the highest cumulative GPA. It will take place May 2 at The Garment Factory in Franklin.

“So far, the Top 20 students and teachers have been notified, and the students are currently working on their bios and what they want to say about the teacher they are honoring. The venue and our guest speaker, who is a GHS graduate, have also both been secured,” Mrs. Shelly Goodrich, organizer, said.

Students choose one teacher to honor at the banquet who influenced their educations the most. Teachers feel honored to be chosen are excited to attend the banquet.

“Similar to be asked to give a diploma, the fact that a student would even consider wanting to recognize you and have you recognize them is a fun tradition. This will be my third year attending, and I am looking forward to it. It is an opportunity for teachers and students to appreciate the close relationships we have formed throughout the years,” Mr. Matthew Hockersmith said.

Being a part of the Top 20 Banquet is rewarding for seniors because they can reflect on their past four years of high school.

“I am proud to be attending the Top 20 Banquet because it makes me feel like all the hard work and effort I have put in has paid off. It is also nice to be a part of a group of students who have also done well in school, and I am excited to celebrate the hard work that my friends and I have put into school. I chose Mr. Sutton as my teacher to honor because he has made my last year of high school entertaining and I always have fun in his class,” Jaden Duong said.