Teachers Give Scholarship Application Advice

Justin Waddell, Reporter

It is never too early to begin thinking about scholarships, so GHS teachers try to help students learn how to get ahead with their application tips and tricks.

Mrs. Lisa Laug, College and Career Director, gives students important tips on how to prepare and stand out while applying for scholarships

“If you cannot complete a scholarship application electronically, which would be the preference, make sure you use a pen. Many committees will automatically weed the ones in pencil out of contention. Make yourself a good candidate for scholarships. This is really a tip for 9-11th graders who have more time to take these steps before applying for scholarships.  Find a volunteer activity that you can get involved with regularly. The most impressive community service activities are the ones that were not a one-time event but that demonstrate a commitment to community service and a given cause. Cultivate a relationship with the faculty and staff at Greenwood High School.  If you want excellent recommendation letters, your teachers, counselors, and administrators need to know and respect you,” she said.

Mrs. Sandy James, Social Studies teacher, gives her tips and tricks to get ahead in finding scholarships.

“As far as tips and tricks to find scholarships, I would make Google your friend. Search for scholarships that maybe other students aren’t aware of. There are many out there that are specific to things like your future profession or your ancestors’ ethnicity. If a parent graduated from a college you might like to attend, check with that college’s admission department. Sometimes there are “legacy” scholarships available to children of graduates. A parent’s job might also offer scholarships. For example, since I’m a teacher, my children were eligible for scholarships through my teacher union. I also believe our guidance department does an excellent job in helping seniors be aware of potential scholarships,” she said.

Mrs. Alison Bonham, English Department director explains how students can use GHS’s resources.

“My advice would be for students to use all the resources that Mrs. Laug provides to them in regards to scholarships.  She sends out information through their class Canvas page and senior English teachers. There is also quite a bit of information through the Naviance site.  Also, research the university/college in which you want to attend for all that they have to offer, reaching out to their financial aid office. Never pay for scholarship information or help,” she said.

Mrs. Sandy James cautions students on reading scholarships carefully.

“When you fill out applications, always read through them first. Familiarize yourself with what the scholarship committee is seeking. If the questions stress problem solving, you’ll want to zero in on examples of when you’ve done something innovative at school or in life. If the questions are about maturity, you’ll want to talk about the activities you do involve you taking the lead and showing your ability to achieve without needing to be pushed or prompted,” she said.