Spring Musical preview

Madison Peckinpaugh, News Editor

This year, the theater program is taking a different approach to a classic Broadway musical.

“The musical is Guys and Dolls Concert Version. This version is slightly different from the original Guys and Dolls musical in that it is the concert version of the show. Some of the original music and dialogue has been edited to make it a more streamlined version of the story,” Mr. Daniel Borns choir teacher said.

The “concert version” twist on the musical will be a new experience, as this version has not yet been performed at GHS. A “concert version” means there will be less theatrics and dialogue involved, to limit the direct interaction between students on stage

“I believe that this is the first time that the concert version of the show has been produced at the high school, but I know for sure that a full production took place at GHS back in 2004. This show has been around since the 1950s, so I am thinking it may have happened at some point before that as well,” Mr. Borns said.

After getting to perform only one run of last year’s musical, Anything Goes, all of the necessary precautions are being taken, of course.

“Things will be a bit different with COVID protocols for rehearsals and performances. We will be observing social distancing and wearing masks and/or face shields. We are keeping people moving or spaced during practices to hopefully avoid contact tracing issues,” Mr. Borns said.

This year, the music and theater programs are eager to get back into the swing of things.

“I am mainly looking forward to having another show. I was worried that we would not get one, but I am excited to be able to perform again,” junior Lilly Mull said. The musical is based on the story and characters by Damon Runyon and should be fun for the cast and audience alike.

“It is one of my personal all-time favorite shows. Our students haven’t gotten a chance to experience the great music and fun characters in this musical so I thought it was time to share it with our group,” Mr. Borns said.

In the end, though, the overall goal is to have a safe production of Guys and Dolls for everyone involved.

“The idea for the musical this year is for us to perform with masks on. To increase social distancing, they are also prohibiting us from staying backstage during the show,” Mull said. Understudies are put in place, just in case any students are quarantined. Live-stream rights have been secured. Show performance dates are March 11 and March 12 at 7 pm as well as March 13 at 2 pm. There will be ticket options based on “in-person” vs. “virtual”.