Election flames controversy

Election flames controversy

Gavin Folco, J1 reporter

months of controversy, the 2020 Presidential Election is finally over. On Nov. 7, former Vice President Joe Biden was declared the United States’ 46th president. He will be sworn in on Jan. 20, 2021.

Whether or not they were old enough to vote, students were very aware of what was going on in the political arena. Freshman Amber Hayden explained how she feels about the outcome of the election and what she hopes for the future.

“I am pleased with the outcome of the election. I believe that Joe Biden will be a great peace-bringing and smart president. So naturally, when I heard that Biden was the president elect for this term, my reaction was something of joy, celebration and relief. My greatest hope as the U.S moves on from this election is that we the people can come together as one and be united rather than fighting, rioting, and tearing each other down because of the results that we have been given. I find that my beliefs are not super common in Greenwood, so I ran into a few arguments with people. Some of these people include my grandpa on my mother’s side, a few friends from schools, and some middle schoolers believe it or not,” she said.

Sophomore Jordan Bonser explained why he is worried for the future of the country and why he is hopeful for the future of the Republican party.

“I am worried about the future of our country under Biden. My greatest fear is his mental aspect and his ability to easily be persuaded. I am afraid also of a possible socialist country depending on his cabinet and his policies. The United States has been a refuge for those suffering from Cuba, and now they have to fear the same thing they left. I hope that this is the most conservative generation at our age ever. The election also gives me hope because more minorities voted for Trump than any other candidate in 60 years. I am hopeful that the left will continue to push away these voters to become more conservative because of their policies and parties’ political beliefs and agendas,” he said.

Junior Emma Elliot explained why she is pleased with the outcome of the election.
“I am so relieved and happy with the outcome. The last four years have been filled with either hatred, lies and disregard for the country. When Biden won, it was a relief to finally see the end to the Trump administration and have a president with experience like Biden who knows how to run a government,” she said.
Senior Mariana Orozco explained why she is questioning the outcome and what she hopes the U.S. will focus on in the future.
“It kind of felt bittersweet. Yes, I am glad that Biden won over Trump, but then I am also thinking: is he any better than Trump? I am just hoping he can change this country into a better place. One thing I think is very important as the U.S. moves on is racial equality. This year has been a mess, and with the evil acts of racism, it has been horrible. I am just glad so many more people are talking about it,” she said.
Sophomore Blake Reynolds gave insight on how he thought the election should have turned out.
“I went to bed happy Tuesday night because it appeared Trump was up, and then I woke up and saw all these states that had flipped over. I thought there had been some sort of fraud or something like that. Then, the election was called, and Biden won. I think it is fake and that there is still time in the election for Trump to come back on top. My ultimate hope is for Trump to be declared winner, but if Biden does end up winning, I am hoping that he is able to properly lead the nation and doesn’t break it down,” he said.

Freshman Lesley Rodriguez explained why she thinks Biden was the better candidate.
“I was relieved when I saw the winner of the election. Biden many not be much better than Trump, but he is more empathetic than Trump, which is something the U.S needs right now. I hope the U.S. and its government will listen to the American people and focus more on human rights issues for the up and coming years,” she said.

Sophomore Ella Dean and her family celebrated the outcome.

“My dad and I were running errands when we saw that Biden won. To celebrate, we played loud music and sang on the way home. My greatest hope as we move from this election is that everyone is viewed as equal,” she said.

Senior Addy Brooks was simply tired of waiting to hear the winner declared.

“My reaction to this election was probably similar to most. I was tired of waiting to see who the winner would be, and it was a relief to finally see a winner,” Brooks said. “This election didn’t cause any serious problems with friends or family, but me and one of my friends have very different political views, and it was frustrating listening to them try to focus their views and opinions on me.”