GHS takes on new hybrid schedule

Conner Peckinpaugh, reporter

Greenwood High School and Greenwood Middle School recently made major changes to how everyone will attend their classes. Due to the rise in COVID-19 cases, most Johnson County schools have switched to a hybrid learning model.

GHS has been taking precautions to avoid this change as much as possible, but the decision was made per the Indiana State Department of Health.

“It’s not a model that we’re excited to jump into. It’s precautionary. It’s going to improve social distancing and eliminate the amount of contact tracing we have to do,” Principal Todd Garrison said. “It’s going to help with people’s fear that they might get sent home.”

The new model consists of splitting student attendance. Students with last names that start with A-L attend school in person Mondays and Tuesdays. Students with last names M-Z attend school Thursdays and Fridays. Wednesdays are an open day for students to complete work and teachers to plan lessons. The students who do not attend in person attend via Zoom video calls. With attendance being split, some students might be worried about what to expect with their grades or relationships.

“It’s going to be challenging for people to not be in person with their friends and not to work as closely with each other as in the past,” Mr. Garrison said. “Those are all challenging things for adults and students to eliminate from the high school experience.”

Junior Andrew Mears shared his opinion.

“I would much rather have it be either we are all at school or we are all at home. I understand the safety concerns and why this must happen,” Mears said. “It makes me very nervous because I have not done this sort of scheduling and I feel like I am going to forget something and not remember until the last minute and have to go after and finish it.”

Students’ opinions vary from the negative to the positive. For some, the change is bittersweet. The schedule change may allow for more freedom but at the cost of in-class time.

“I’m most worried about grades. I’m worried about students who will lack motivation to do things to do like they do in the classroom,” sophomore Audrey Poynter said. “I’m most excited about the flexibility of classes. Online really creates a calmer environment because you are at home and in a safe environment and move more freely and not have to be stuck in a seat.”